- Published on Wednesday, 03 September 2014 00:00
1:32 decal sets for WNW 2A2 Salmson kits
Catalogue # see article for code and price
Available from Pheon Decals
Has there ever been any specific Wingnut Wings kit more underrepresented in the online modelling community, than the excellent 2A2 Salmson? I must admit that whilst I don't regularly visit the various modelling shows around the country, I am told that you really don't see any of these models made up anywhere. I, for one, think that's a crying shame as it really is, for me, one of the real highlights in the WNW catalogue. Having said that, Pheon decals have come to the rescue, and offered not one or two new decal sets for this kit, but THREE. We have been lucky enough to receive all three sets, and thought we'd share our findings with you.
- Published on Tuesday, 02 September 2014 00:00
1/32 Gloster Meteor Engine (Engine Bay + Engine)
Catalogue # P32191
Available from Profimodeller for € 46,50
When I spoke to Neil Yan from HK Models at Telford last year we chatted about the Meteor and he explained the strategy behind the rather basic Meteor kit. There are modellers who think the aesthetic lines of their subject get are ruined by opening hatches. They can build the Meteor from the box. Canopy closed. No excess sprues and parts will go to waste with this modeller and as a result the price will stay as low as possible. This is quite an opposite approach from Zoukei Mura for instance. Neil predicted that lots of After Market upgrades would appear for the more prolific modeller that likes to open it all up.
- Published on Monday, 01 September 2014 00:00
1:32 Gloster Meteor F.8 conversion
Catalogue # A3231
Available from Fisher Models for $85.00
There is only one game in town if you want to build an injection-moulded 1:32 Gloster Meteor, and that is the HK Models kit which was released around the beginning of 2014. The kit itself is superb, even if you build OOB, and offers a number of upgrade paths for those who like to detail their models further. Profimodeller and Eduard have released sets to help you build your ultimate Meteor. HK have only released the Meteor as an F.4, so if your particular ultimate Meteor was a different variant (most were), then until now, there was no viable option for the regular modeller. Enter Fisher Models with their F.8 conversion....
- Published on Thursday, 28 August 2014 00:00
1:24 Cockpit Instrument Decals: Hawker Typhoon
Catalogue # AS24TIFF
Available from Airscale for £10.95
What better a time to show you this decal set, with us only yesterday having reviewed the epic new 1:24 Hawker Typhoon from Airfix. I did actually touch upon this release in that article, and today I'm pleased to show you in full what this set offers the modeller, in terms of options and entirely new content.
- Published on Wednesday, 27 August 2014 00:00
1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B
Catalogue # A19002
Available from Airfix for £99.99
If anything could be classed as a 'main event' at a model show, then the test shot sprues for the 1:24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon which were on show at Scale Model World 2013, Telford, in November last year, certainly is the epitome of that statement. You would have had serious difficulty in getting anywhere near the plastic, such was the continual throng of modellers crowding out the Airfix stall. Some perseverance and the occasional rigid elbow eventually got our website team in to get the all-important photos.
- Published on Friday, 22 August 2014 00:00
1/32 Spitfire Mk.1a decals
Catalogue # EC#157
Available from Eagle Editions for $19.50
Here at Scale Plastic and Rail were definitely fans of the new Revell 1/32 Spitfire MkII (check out our review here), sure it has some accuracy issues but nothing that can't be fixed with some good old fashioned MODELLING! It represents huge value for money, chuck in a few aftermarket parts and you'll have the makings of a real show stopper.
- Published on Thursday, 21 August 2014 00:00
Aces High Magazine
Catalogue # Issue 1
Available direct from AK Interactive for 9€
AK Interactive are an already well-established name within the modelling fraternity commanding a large and loyal following. However these are their first tentative steps into magazine territory which as we all know is a highly competitive and ferocious market.
- Published on Wednesday, 20 August 2014 00:00
1/48 Bf 109G Eduard Brassin upgrades for Eduard kit
Catalogue # see article for price, code and link
Available from Eduard
Following up our review of the Brassin cockpit and engine for the Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G-6, today we'll be taking a look at a few smaller upgrade sets for the kit. Eduard released the kit and many Brassin upgrades for it simultaneously, so let's have a look at the next installment.
- Published on Tuesday, 19 August 2014 00:00
1/32 Bf109G-10 and K-4 Upgrades
Catalogue # See article for price and code
Available from Barracuda Studios
Today we have a look at a few new sets from Barracuda Studios for 1/32 Bf 109G-10's and K-4's. The new Revell 1/32 Erla-built Bf 109G-10 has been well-received and inspired a recent surge in upgrades from many aftermarket companies. BarracudaCast is well known for their exceptional resin detail sets and decals, so let's have a look at some of their recent releases.
- Published on Monday, 18 August 2014 00:00
1/32 Gloster Meteor Upgrades
Catalogue # 32195 (Interior) – 32200 (Air Brake) – 32193 (Gun Bay)
Available from Profimodeller
HK Model's 1/32 Gloster Meteor F.4. A relatively simple kit with limited parts that builds into a nice rendition of the Meteor straight from the box and can also form the base for a super detialed Meteor. For the latter these three sets are a great start. The pro's of the HK Models Meteor are subtle service detail, great fit and proper dimensions. The Air intakes and canopy could have been better though, but I won't go into those here.
- Published on Thursday, 14 August 2014 00:00
1:35 NSU Sd.Kfz.304 "Springer"
Catalogue # BM101
Available from Brach Models for 68€
Brach Model is a resin model company that made the most outstanding resin model kits and conversion sets. The subjects are all very attractive and quite different for all ShermanTigerPanther subjects. The casting system is one of the best in modeling market, because Luciano Brach (the man behind the scenes and the master creator) achieved high level of casting, with perfect and crispy detail. You will just see what I'm talking about if you didn't see our full review of the Brach Model Renault R40. The new resin kit release by Brach Model is the NSU Sd.Kfz.304 "Springer"
- Published on Wednesday, 13 August 2014 00:00
1:35 AEC Mk III Armoured car
Catlaogue # 35159
The Associated Equipment Company or as it was more commonly known, AEC, was a British truck and bus manufacturing company. Founded in 1912 the company continued producing vehicles through to 1979 at which time production ceased. In 1941 the production of civilian vehicles was put to one side so AEC could focus on military vehicle production. It's most famous vehicle was the Matador 4x4 artillery tractor, of which around 9,000 were produced.
- Various 1:35 & 1:32 barrels from RB Models
- 1/32 DFW C.V 'Late Production' from Wingnut Wings
- 1:32 Nose detail for B-25 Gun Ship from Profimodeller
- 1:35 Fordson WOT-2D from Plusmodel
- 1/32 Trooper, 9th (Queens Royal) Lancers, Elouges 1914 from Tommy's War
- 1:32 DFW C.V Mid Production from Wingnut Wings
- 1:48 Airspeed Oxford Mk.I/II 'Royal Navy' from Special Hobby
- 1:32 B-25 Gun Ship cockpit detail set from Profimodeller
- 1/48 Bf109G-6 Eduard Brassin Cockpit and Engine sets
- 1:72 Battle of Britain fighter dispersal set from Noy's Miniatures
- 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire MkII detail sets from Revell
- 1:48 Bf 109G Royal Class Edition from Eduard
- Photo Etch template tools Eduard
- 1:32 Heinkel He 219 'Detail Up Set' Mk1 Design
- 1:32nd MG15/20 Cannon Pods and WGr.21 Rocket Launchers from Eduard
- 1/10 Resin Bust - Corporal East African Mounted Rifles (Mount Longido 1915) From Tommy's War.
- 1/32 (54mm) Thornycroft Type J Lorry (General Service Variant) From Tommy's War.
- 1:32 Albatros D.Va (OAW) from Wingnut Wings
- 1/48 DH.2 'Stripdown' from Eduard
- 1:32nd B-17 Superchargers (for HK Models kit) from Eduard