- Published on Wednesday, 27 August 2014 00:00
1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B
Catalogue # A19002
Available from Airfix for £99.99
If anything could be classed as a 'main event' at a model show, then the test shot sprues for the 1:24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon which were on show at Scale Model World 2013, Telford, in November last year, certainly is the epitome of that statement. You would have had serious difficulty in getting anywhere near the plastic, such was the continual throng of modellers crowding out the Airfix stall. Some perseverance and the occasional rigid elbow eventually got our website team in to get the all-important photos.
- Published on Friday, 22 August 2014 00:00
1/32 Spitfire Mk.1a decals
Catalogue # EC#157
Available from Eagle Editions for $19.50
Here at Scale Plastic and Rail were definitely fans of the new Revell 1/32 Spitfire MkII (check out our review here), sure it has some accuracy issues but nothing that can't be fixed with some good old fashioned MODELLING! It represents huge value for money, chuck in a few aftermarket parts and you'll have the makings of a real show stopper.
- Published on Thursday, 21 August 2014 00:00
Aces High Magazine
Catalogue # Issue 1
Available direct from AK Interactive for 9€
AK Interactive are an already well-established name within the modelling fraternity commanding a large and loyal following. However these are their first tentative steps into magazine territory which as we all know is a highly competitive and ferocious market.
- Published on Wednesday, 20 August 2014 00:00
1/48 Bf 109G Eduard Brassin upgrades for Eduard kit
Catalogue # see article for price, code and link
Available from Eduard
Following up our review of the Brassin cockpit and engine for the Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G-6, today we'll be taking a look at a few smaller upgrade sets for the kit. Eduard released the kit and many Brassin upgrades for it simultaneously, so let's have a look at the next installment.
- Published on Tuesday, 19 August 2014 00:00
1/32 Bf109G-10 and K-4 Upgrades
Catalogue # See article for price and code
Available from Barracuda Studios
Today we have a look at a few new sets from Barracuda Studios for 1/32 Bf 109G-10's and K-4's. The new Revell 1/32 Erla-built Bf 109G-10 has been well-received and inspired a recent surge in upgrades from many aftermarket companies. BarracudaCast is well known for their exceptional resin detail sets and decals, so let's have a look at some of their recent releases.
- Published on Monday, 18 August 2014 00:00
1/32 Gloster Meteor Upgrades
Catalogue # 32195 (Interior) – 32200 (Air Brake) – 32193 (Gun Bay)
Available from Profimodeller
HK Model's 1/32 Gloster Meteor F.4. A relatively simple kit with limited parts that builds into a nice rendition of the Meteor straight from the box and can also form the base for a super detialed Meteor. For the latter these three sets are a great start. The pro's of the HK Models Meteor are subtle service detail, great fit and proper dimensions. The Air intakes and canopy could have been better though, but I won't go into those here.
- Published on Thursday, 14 August 2014 00:00
1:35 NSU Sd.Kfz.304 "Springer"
Catalogue # BM101
Available from Brach Models for 68€
Brach Model is a resin model company that made the most outstanding resin model kits and conversion sets. The subjects are all very attractive and quite different for all ShermanTigerPanther subjects. The casting system is one of the best in modeling market, because Luciano Brach (the man behind the scenes and the master creator) achieved high level of casting, with perfect and crispy detail. You will just see what I'm talking about if you didn't see our full review of the Brach Model Renault R40. The new resin kit release by Brach Model is the NSU Sd.Kfz.304 "Springer"
- Published on Wednesday, 13 August 2014 00:00
1:35 AEC Mk III Armoured car
Catlaogue # 35159
The Associated Equipment Company or as it was more commonly known, AEC, was a British truck and bus manufacturing company. Founded in 1912 the company continued producing vehicles through to 1979 at which time production ceased. In 1941 the production of civilian vehicles was put to one side so AEC could focus on military vehicle production. It's most famous vehicle was the Matador 4x4 artillery tractor, of which around 9,000 were produced.
- Published on Tuesday, 12 August 2014 00:00
Various 1:35 & 1:32 barrels
Catalogue # See article for price and code
Available from RB Models
Based in the town of Zbąszyń, Poland RB Model is a manufacturer of an impressive range brass, nylon, wood and resin after-market detail parts for various genre and scale. Whilst they're undoubtedly familiar to a number of modellers already I have, nonetheless, rarely seen much use of their name in the various forums that I visit or am part of. I personally came across their name first when I was searching for a particular aftermarket accessory for a 1:35th Tasca Sherman and was immediately taken by the sheer volume of products they offer and the width of the various genre of modelling they cater to.
- Published on Monday, 11 August 2014 00:00
1/32 DFW C.V 'Late Production'
Available direct from Wingnut Wings for $99.00 USD with FREE worldwide shipping.
There is never a dull moment when a new Wingnut Wings kit arrives on your doorstep for review. I have been extremely privileged to have reviewed no less than 7 of their previous releases all of which have offered a wonderful conclusion. This time around they have delighted us with a dual release of the historically important German reconnaissance aircraft the DFW C.V both mid and late production types. You can find the excellent published review of the mid production kit as written by my good friend and colleague James Hatch here but today I hope to enlighten you with my thoughts and insight as to the DFW C.V late production offering. Let's get things underway with a brief look at the aircrafts fascinating history..........
- Published on Thursday, 07 August 2014 00:00
1:32 Nose detail for B-25 Gun Ship
Catalogue # 32197
Available from Profimodeller for 319,00 CZK
We recently took a look at Profimodeller's cockpit detail set for the HK Models 1:32 B-25H Gun Ship, but another very obvious and prominent candidate for detailing is of course the nose interior. Again, HK made an exceptional job of reproducing this area, but it takes the skill of the aftermarket guys to really make things shine. Today's review looks a set to help you rework this key area.
- Published on Wednesday, 06 August 2014 00:00
1:35 Fordson WOT-2D
Available from Plusmodel for 80€
After the outbreak of WWII, Ford in Britain started to produce a WOT truck range (War Office Trucks) and WOT-2 was the smallest of this range. It was also sometimes called "Fordson". In 1939, the production of WOT2, the smaller version of six, with a load of about 750 kg or 15cwt started. They were built as small trucks with a table and an enclosed cabin. There was only drive the rear wheels. In the six years that vehicles have been improvements and production are WOT2 from A to H designation.
- 1/32 Trooper, 9th (Queens Royal) Lancers, Elouges 1914 from Tommy's War
- 1:32 DFW C.V Mid Production from Wingnut Wings
- 1:48 Airspeed Oxford Mk.I/II 'Royal Navy' from Special Hobby
- 1:32 B-25 Gun Ship cockpit detail set from Profimodeller
- 1/48 Bf109G-6 Eduard Brassin Cockpit and Engine sets
- 1:72 Battle of Britain fighter dispersal set from Noy's Miniatures
- 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire MkII detail sets from Revell
- 1:48 Bf 109G Royal Class Edition from Eduard
- Photo Etch template tools Eduard
- 1:32 Heinkel He 219 'Detail Up Set' Mk1 Design
- 1:32nd MG15/20 Cannon Pods and WGr.21 Rocket Launchers from Eduard
- 1/10 Resin Bust - Corporal East African Mounted Rifles (Mount Longido 1915) From Tommy's War.
- 1/32 (54mm) Thornycroft Type J Lorry (General Service Variant) From Tommy's War.
- 1:32 Albatros D.Va (OAW) from Wingnut Wings
- 1/48 DH.2 'Stripdown' from Eduard
- 1:32nd B-17 Superchargers (for HK Models kit) from Eduard
- 1:48 Gloster Javelin detail sets (for Airfix kit) from Eduard
- 1/32 P-51D Mustang Wheel Sets from CMK
- 1/48 Supermarine Seafire MkIII French Aeronavale & Irish Air Corps from Special Hobby
- 1:32nd Supermarine Spitfire Mk IIa from Revell